Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Is it April Fool's Day?


Ten Bay Beach, Eleuthera, Bahamas, 2010

A letter to my boss seven years ago this month:

Dear Mark:
 
The purpose of this letter is to announce my resignation from GE Healthcare, effective
October 16, 2008.

The past 10 years have been very rewarding. During my last three years I've benefited from your leadership, while managing a very successful team dedicated to delivering on receivables performance with focus and priorities on achieving targets with a professional attitude and quality customer service.  It has been an honor to work for you.

Chris and I have decided to pursue our lifelong dream of becoming blue water cruisers. We have purchased a sail boat and are eagerly looking forward to our new life as full time liveaboards.
 
If I can be of any assistance during this transition, please let me know. I would be glad to help however I can.
 
I wish you and the company all the best. I do hope our paths cross again in the future.
 
Sincerely,
Linda L. Moore
Diagnostic Imaging Collections Manager
GE Healthcare, Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA
 

 
Captain Chris enjoys a Corona our first night on Troubadour at Sea Love, Ponce Inlet, Florida.
 
My boss, Mark, looked at me in astonishment upon getting the news of my resignation and asked if it was April Fool's day as he gazed at his wall calendar open to October. He said something like, "Let me get this straight. You bought a sailboat and you are moving to the Caribbean?"
 
Yep! Seven years ago the words "full time liveaboards" were just letters on a page without the embodied experience of what they actually meant. Those early questions like "What about pirates?" or "What about hurricanes?" can be answered today with the ease and confidence that comes from living a life on the sea. We've created life-long friendships with sailors from all over the globe and dropped anchor in nearly every Caribbean island from the Bahamas to Grenada. The words "delivering on receivables" and "achieving targets" still cause our tail feathers to ruffle and our hearts to race just a wee bit. (If you've seen the movie Office Space you'll understand corporate life and why we choose to sail away!)
 
Admiral Linda chillaxing on the docks at Sea Love in Florida's Intracoastal Waterway, July 2008.
We are grateful for the good fortune we have and the opportunity to slow down and enjoy life in a way that brings a different kind of strength and a new kind of peace to our lives. 
 
Read about how we began our cruising life here: Troubadour - the first year of living aboard
 
Cheers!
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Sailing Blogs